P&C Technician II - P&C Technician Sr.
Company: American Electric Power
Posted on: September 19, 2022
Job Description:Selected candidate must reside within a safe 60
minute drive from the Victoria Service Center located in Victoria,
This -single vacancy is posted in more than one job range for
P&C Technician II - P&C Technician I. Selection for job
classification will be based on commensurate education and/or
relevant experience. - The description is written for intermediate
level and expectation -increases -for advanced levels of P&C
Perform work associated with the installation, operation, testing
and maintenance of all protection and control devices and related
equipment under direct, immediate or general supervision. Such
devices and equipment includes but is not limited to digital
relays, electromechanical relays, intelligent electronic devices,
Station Disturbance Recorders (SDR), digital fault recorders (DFR),
oscillographs and event recorders, RTU's and station SCADA systems,
statistical load metering, telemetering and transducers.
Additionally, install, maintain and operate all power line carriers
(PLC), tone, pilot wire, fiber and associated P&C
communications equipment. Respond to emergency call-outs and
coordinate prompt restoration of service to customers as required.
This list is not intended to limit assignment of work or the degree
of supervision under all operating conditions. Employee may perform
miscellaneous, related, and incidental work in addition to that
specifically outlined below. The following reference is provided as
a guideline for persons responsible for directing the duties and
responsibilities of assigned personnel, to assist in the safety and
development of employees, and is not intended to limit assignment
of work or the degree of supervision under all operating
DIRECT SUPERVISION - When a qualified person is working
with/hands-on with the person performing the designated task.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISION - When a qualified person is near the
structure/equipment and is in constant visual and/or verbal contact
to the person performing the designated task.
GENERAL SUPERVISION - An employee of equal or higher
classification, knowledgeable of the task at hand and not
necessarily at the job site.
QUALIFIED PERSON ' P&C Technician or Supervisor who is
knowledgeable of the task or work to be performed, and is capable
of performing the appropriate emergency rescue.ESSENTIAL JOB
FUNCTIONS are listed below:
1) Assist in the performance of acceptance and installation tests
on protection, control, and measurement devices and associated
equipment in stations.
2) Assist in the installation, maintenance, and operation of all
power line carriers, station SCADA, and associated communications
equipment or cables as assigned.
3) Perform switching under direct supervision of qualified
personnel following direction of the proper operating
4) Assist in the installation, maintenance, and operation of any
new and added equipment or systems as assigned.
5) Maintain test equipment and automotive equipment in good working
order so that work can be performed safely and efficiently anywhere
throughout the System.
6) Prepare and maintain accurate records, reports and drawings as
7) Assist employees of equal or higher classification.
8) Perform all duties in accordance with the Company's safety rules
and operating regulations, NERC and environmental compliance, and
9) Perform similar or less skilled work as assigned.
10) Test protection &control devices and equipment periodically
and as required.
11) Calibrate protection & control devices and equipment on a
pre-established schedule and as required.
12) Assist with diagnosis of trouble, mis-operation, or damage of
equipment and assist with corrective action to affect repair and
13) Operate a computer device to test, calibrate, and retrieve data
from protection & control and devices.
Education requirements are listed below:
- Associate's degree in electrical engineering technology,
electronic technology or related technology field.
Work Experience requirement listed below:
No previous work experience required.
Physical demand level is Heavy
1. Must satisfactorily complete, in such time frames as may be
established by the Company, the qualifications necessary to perform
the duties of the next higher classification in the line of
progression, or vacate the current classification.
2. Must have the ability and desire to acquire the necessary
knowledge and skills to perform the duties and/or responsibilities
of the key job (P & C Technician Sr in this family and be qualified
through demonstration, examination and/or performance appraisal as
determined by the Company.
3. Must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license and
must meet all vehicle operation requirements as designated by
federal and/or state law.
4. Considerable travel and overtime may be required to complete
5. Must successfully complete Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
COMPETENCIES TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY
Possesses technical knowledge acquired from an Associate Degree in
Electrical/Electronic Engineering Technology.
Gains knowledge of standards, codes, and regulations relevant to
area of assignment.
Gains knowledge with pertinent equipment, material, systems, and
Assists employees in handling defined portions of routine problems
when beneficial to AEP.
Possesses basic computer literacy, knowledge, and skills.
LEADERSHIP AND GUIDANCE
Performs work activities as assigned and coached by higher level
Demonstrates ability to work with others in supplying information
and seeking assistance as necessary. PLANNING AND ORGANIZATION
Plans work in accordance with AEP standard planning practices.
Prioritizes routine work to meet the demands of the company.
Maintains accurate records. PROBLEM-SOLVING AND INITIATIVE
Applies technical knowledge and experience in resolving problems
encountered in assigned work.
Uses initiative in looking for opportunities to improve the process
and increase job knowledge/technical skills.
Seeks out, compiles, analyzes, and interprets information necessary
to perform work activities and solve problems.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing with internal
and external customers.
Assists in the preparation of technical reports and papers.
Demonstrates the ability to be a team player.
Relates to people in an open, friendly, and sincere manner.
DECISION MAKING AND BUSINESS AWARENESS CHARACTERISTICS
Develops decision-making skills based on sound judgment and job
Develops an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the
local organizational unit.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: -
Minimum Requirement P&C Technician /Electrician
- Amount of Weight Lifted from Floor/Ground to Waist Level
- Amount of Weight to be Carried for 20 Feet 50
- Amount of Weight Lifted to Chest Level 30
- Amount of Weight Lifted to Eye Level 30
- Distance to Walk Accumulated over the Course of an 8-Hour Shift
- Distance in Feet to Climb and Work on a Ladder/Structure 20 and
- Distance in Feet to Ascend to and Work in a Bucket/Lift 100 and
-Higher(Tested at 60')
- Ability to Discriminate between Colors Yes (Tested)
Keywords: American Electric Power, Victoria , P&C Technician II - P&C Technician Sr., Engineering , Victoria, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!