Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position
Position Summary: Responsible for the transfer of
reports, records, supplies, and medical specimens between the
laboratory and the clients office or between lab and hospital.
Responsible for providing assistance to the customer with regard to
problems, information, special requirements, etc. and keeps the
laboratory leadership team informed with regard to customer needs.
Responsible for safe driving habits. Adheres to departmental
policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality
control, quality assurance, and safety.
- Ensures timely delivery of reports, records, etc.
- Maintains daily pick-up and delivery within specified time for
those customers as designated in courier program.
- Answers inquiries for courier program, test information, and
basic customer related issues.
- Keeps vehicle clean and reports all malfunctions to
- Maintains safe driving habits by abiding to all laws.
- Ensures quality of laboratory services.
- Follows all safety, infection control, and OSGA Blood Borne
- Participates in departmental performance improvement
- Participates in the laboratory continuing education programs
and safety programs.
- Utilizes departmental resources in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrates efficiency by delivering reports, records, etc.
within time frame and is able to prioritize delivery schedule based
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down
- Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
- Promotes customer relations within the organization and in the
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its customers to ensure
quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information
relative to customers.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
- Creates a supportive climate by serving as a role model of
- Communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion
in a designated time frame.
Scope: Respects and maintains the confidentiality
of information being picked up and/or delivered. Works with minimal
direction; consults with technical staff as needed. Functions as a
liaison between the organization and the organizations customers.
Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to
telephones, photocopier, computer keyboards and CRT, and
centrifuges. Operates a conventional vehicle (car, truck, and/or
This role will have incidental exposure to Protected Health
Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable
safeguards and expected to abide by all applicable privacy,
confidentiality and security standards.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Minimum four years driving experience with conventional vehicles
(car, truck, and/or van). Must not have had more than two moving
violations within the past 36 months.
Preferred two additional years of driving experience. Previous
experience in a similar setting and knowledge of medical
Skills: Ability to communicate effectively at all
levels within the organization and with organizations customers.
Ability to read and write in English. Ability to work without close
supervision. Ability to interact with the organizations customers
in a professional, cordial manner.
Licensure, Certification, Registrations: Valid
Drivers License in the state of employment. Excellent driving
record for the previous 3 year period.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Laboratory
Distribution Services Supervisor.
Physical Demands: Requires light to medium lifting
and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires
manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following
physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above
shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and
forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting
up, lifting down, and reaching under. Routinely requires
coordination of two or more physical operations. Routinely requires
visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility. Requires
ability to hear audible alarms on any temperature monitored
equipment and automated analyzers. May be required to work under
extremely stressful conditions with time constraints and crisis
Environmental Demands/Hazardous Conditions:
Routinely encounters normal hazards involved in driving in light,
moderate, and heavy traffic. Works in a semi-temperature controlled
environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical
hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or
follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to
all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and