Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position
Position Summary: Responsible for accurately obtaining blood
samples via venipuncture and capillary collection procedures with
minimum customer discomfort. Provides care to patients whose ages
range from infant to geriatric. Ensures specimen integrity by
adhering to the laboratory's procedures for specimen collection,
handling, and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and
procedures to include departmental programs, quality control,
quality assurance, and safety.
- Utilize technical skills and abilities to perform accurate
venipuncture and capillary blood collection. Utilizes technical
skills and abilities to accurately handle and process
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen collection and
- Correctly identifies patient and properly labels
- Correctly identifies and utilizes proper tubes, containers,
transport media, and storage temperature for each test type.
- Correctly identifies proper priority for collection
Follows appropriate guidelines as established by the laboratory
for missed draws, recollects, or difficult sticks.
- Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to
- Utilizes resources for proper collection and processing of
- Utilizes resources to answer inquiries for test information and
basic customer related issues.
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA
Blood Borne Pathogen guidelines.
- Understands and follows all CPL Compliance policies.
- Understands and follows all HIPAA guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
Participates in any laboratory training programs.
- Effectively utilizes departmental resources
- Demonstrates efficiency by timely performing procedures and
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down
Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
- Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote customer
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its customers to ensure
quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information
relative to customers.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion
in a designated time frame.
Scope: Promotes quality patient/client relations and creates
supportive climate by serving as a role model. Respects and
maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the
laboratory. Adheres to all laboratory policies and regulations.
Works with minimal direction, consults with supervisors as needed.
Functions as a liaison between the laboratory and the laboratory
customers. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not
limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, centrifuges,
and manual pipettes. Effectively communicates via written, verbal,
face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
This role will have routine access to Protected Health
Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable
safeguards and are expected to maintain strict confidentiality, as
well as abide by all applicable privacy and security standards.
Employees are expected only to access PHI when it is required to
fulfill job duties.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Certification: Preferred - Certified by the American Society of
Minimum - training or experience in specimen collection and/or
Preferred - two years of laboratory training or experience in
specimen collection and processing.
Skills: Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within
the laboratory and with laboratory customers. Ability to read and
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Laboratory Patient Service
Center Team Leader.
Physical Demands: Requires light to medium lifting and carrying
of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires manipulation of
tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions:
pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping
with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with
hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and
reaching under. Routinely requires coordination of two or more
physical operations. Routinely requires visual discrimination of
color, size, shape, and motility. Requires ability to hear audible
alarms on any temperature monitored equipment and automated
Environmental Demands: Works in temperature controlled
environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical
hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or
follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be
required to work with time constraints and crisis situations.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to
all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and