Company: City of Victoria
Posted on: June 4, 2021
The Light Equipment Operator - Streets is responsible for the
safe and efficient operation of light maintenance/construction
equipment and assists the work of a crew who constructs, maintains
and repairs streets and storm drainage systems.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
- Operates various types of heavy equipment as needed.
- Drives dump trucks in order to transport materials to and from
worksites. Loads and unloads materials and equipment.
- Uses pneumatic equipment to compact material in trenches and
other excavated areas. Compacts materials such as asphalt and
sealcoat. Grades drainage ditches. Installs storm sewage pipe.
- Remove dead trees and limbs from city rights of way using
chainsaws and related equipment.
- Assists in priming and blacktopping reconstructed city
- Repairs streets, curbs and alleys and makes utility cuts.
Spreads concrete, asphalt, gravel, hot mix and related materials
while repairing or maintaining areas.
- Cuts and nails wood and concrete forms. Sets forms for curbs
and gutters. Places and finishes concrete.
- Sets up barricades and directs traffic around work area.
- Responds to complaints and work requests from the public.
- Prepares worksites and cleans up sites when jobs are
- Works with other utility departments when the need arises.
- Subject to after-hour and weekend call out work.
- Performs duties in a safe and orderly manner, complying with
all City and department safety rules.
- Regular attendance at work and arrives on time.
- Performs all other job-related duties as assigned or as become
- Ability to get along with other employees and the public.
Ability to transport self from building to building. Ability to
drive a vehicle to and from various worksites. Employee will work
in extreme temperatures, bending, kneeling, twisting and climbing
in order to work or supervise repairs on materials or equipment.
Employee can work with mechanical, chemical and electrical hazards
as well as traffic hazards while repairing and maintaining streets.
Employee is also required to perform heavy lifting of material of
up to 100 pounds frequently. Employee will be exposed to dirt,
dust, noises, fumes and odors.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
Knowledge of proper equipment used in the repair and maintenance of
streets and storm drainage systems. Ability to operate vehicles and
equipment such as thermo-lay patch trucks, dump trucks, backhoes
and loaders as well as assorted hand and pneumatic tools. Ability
to read, measure and calculate types and sizes of materials needed
for repair of utility cuts and ability to reason amount of time
that will be used in the process. Ability to complete written
reports and follow oral and written instructions. Must be able to
demonstrate proficiency at operating dump truck and either a street
sweeper or backhoe.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certification:
High school diploma or equivalent required with one to three years
of experience in the operation of light equipment preferred. Valid
Texas Class B Commercial drivers license with a tanker endorsement
required. Driving record that meets City guidelines. Personal
Protective Equipment Required: (i.e. Safety Boots).
Keywords: City of Victoria, Victoria , Equipment Operator, Other , Victoria, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!